As you may know, if a teacher wants a Classroom assignment to count toward the overall grade for a class, the assignment can be linked to the Grade Book so the assignment and grade automatically appear there. You may also know that teachers can create small groups within their classes in Classroom and can give assignments to students in a group just as they can for the whole class. Finally, you may know that to exempt an assignment grade from calculating toward an overall class grade, a teacher can enter an asterisk in place of the grade.
Now, when a Grade Book-linked Classroom assignment is assigned to a small group, the system will automatically enter an asterisk (*) in Grade Book for students NOT in the group, and those students will be exempted from the assignment.
How do you create small-group assignments & link to Grade Book?
- Create a Classroom assignment
- In the Settings section, select a small group
- Check the Add to Grade Book box
- Choose a Marking Period and Category
- Save and Publish the assignment
What does the assignment look like in Grade Book?
- The assignment is copied to Grade Book
- There will be a blank cell for students in the small group and an asterisk (*) for students who are NOT in the small group
What does the assignment look like in OnCourse Connect?
When an asterisk (*) is added as an assignment grade in Grade Book, the assignment will not be visible on the student's progress report.