Authorized SIS users can enroll new students and manage their personal information such as demographics, guardians, and contact information. This article will demonstrate the process of adding a new student and beginning the process of data entry.
**NOTE: If your account will not allow you to perform any of the steps below, contact your school's OnCourse System Manager to be granted appropriate permissions.**
- System Managers can set default city, state, and zip codes for new student enrollments.
- Navigate to the System Manager tab.
- Open the "Schools" icon.
- Click on the appropriate school.
- Scroll to the bottom to find the "Enrollment Default" fields.
- Complete the fields with information you would like to have appear automatically when adding new students. This typically is the city, state, and zip code of the school or district.
- Log into OnCourse and click the People tab to enter the Student Information System
- On the left sidebar, click the "Add Student" button.
Add Student Form
- In the "Add Student" form, enter the student's basic information including their name, gender, address, phone number. If you have completed Step 1, the student's city, state, and zip code will be filled in automatically.
- In the State and Local ID fields, carefully fill in the student's ID numbers. If these numbers aren't available, they can be entered at a later date.
- Click "Add Student." The student now has an OnCourse profile, but has not yet been enrolled in the school.
This step will not be the same for every school district. This step is tied to state reporting and is customized accordingly. If your district is not using OnCourse for state reporting, this step may not appear at all.
When the next screen launches, it will automatically search the system for any guardians that match the last name of the new student. If the student has siblings in the school, it is best practice to link the new student to the existing guardian record (s) instead of creating duplicate guardians.
Any successful matches will appear. To search on a different last name or by street address or even phone number, use the search area on the left side of the screen. Link existing guardians by following these steps: Always SAVE your changes.
- Click the checkbox to the left of the guardian's name.
- In the screen below, fill in the details about the guardian/ student relationship:
- Relationship - select from the drop-down box to define mother, father, sister, brother, etc.
- Comments - use the area for are for narrative comments or to communicate the custody arrangements, release details, or any extra information.
- Emergency Contact, Student Resides with, Primary Contact, Allowed Contact - use the checkboxes to assign any of these characteristics to the guardian.
- Send Mail, Send Call-Out, Allow Portal Access - these are particularly important as they allow letters to be created for parents, calls to be made regarding attendance, and grant access to OnCourse Connect
Always SAVE your changes.
To add a new guardian:
- Click the "Add Guardian" button.
- In the form that appears, fill in the guardian's name, address, and contact information.
- Click "Add Guardian".
- Complete the guardian form as described in step 5.
The student's record always opens up in a new tab, labeled with their name. By default, OnCourse will open the student's 7 General tab, which holds information like demographics, transportation, special education, lunch program, etc.
This information can now be keyed in and saved with the Save button at the bottom of the screen, or by using the "Shift +Enter" keyboard combination.
To make changes to the previous steps of this process, such as enrollment or guardians, navigate to the appropriate tab in the student record.