The Marking Period Locks application allows users to lock and unlock marking periods. After a marking period has been locked, it is possible to just unlock sections while the marking period remains locked (this is explained at the end of this article).
To access this feature, users must have access to the System Manager. There is also a resource that only OnCourse can provide. To turn this feature on, please contact OnCourse Support.
How to Access the Application
- System Manager > District > Grade Book Settings > Scales and Periods > [Current School Year].
- Click directly on Marking Period Locks. The application will appear to the right.
- Select the appropriate grading period, marking period, and school.
- Any marking periods that are currently locked will display to the right.
How to Add a Marking Period Lock
- Click the Add Period Lock(s) button.
- Select the grading period and marking period you wish to lock.
- Check the box(es) for the school(s) you wish to lock and click Save.
- The newly-locked periods will show in the window.
How to Remove a Marking Period Lock
- Use the filters in the sidebar to locate the marking period you wish to unlock.
- Check the box(es) for the marking period(s) you wish to unlock.
- Click the Remove Selected button, then click Yes to confirm.
- The previously locked marking period will disappear from the window.
How to Unlock a Section within a Locked Marking Period
- Click on the Scheduling tab and choose Class Manager
- Click on the Sections tab
- Navigate to the desired section
- Click on the link in the Grading Periods column for the desired section
- A new window will open
- On the left, is the Period Name column showing the marking periods for the selected section
- On the right, is the Locked column, showing the setting for each marking period for the selected section. Clicking directly on one reveals three options:
- Use school-wide setting: refers to the marking period lock settings in the system manager for a specific school (demonstrated above in the How to add a Marking Period Lock section)
- Yes: mean the lock is on despite what the school-wide setting may be
- No: means the lock is off despite what the school-wide setting might be
- Locate the marking period you would like to change in the Period Name column, and click directly on the corresponding option in the Locked column
- To unlock the selected section, choose No
- Now this section will be unlocked even though the grading period is locked
Resource: Class Manager Change Grading Period