Teachers may create seating charts for each of their classes, as part of their OnCourse Gradebook. These charts may include student pictures, and can be saved and printed for personal use or to leave with a substitute.
Teachers who use the OnCourse Grade Book may also take advantage of the Seating Chart feature. These features are integrated, which means that as you are assigned a new class in the Grade Book, you will also receive a new seating chart for that class. As students are enrolled in the class, they will also be available to add in the seating chart.
Important Note: Student photos will only display if they’ve been uploaded by your school office.
Setting up a New Seating Chart
Log into OnCourse and open the Grade Book
Use the Class drop-down menu to select the class you would like to seat.
Click Seating Chart from the Tools dropdown menu.
A new seating chart will pop into the screen
By default, OnCourse will display a new, blank seating chart grid labeled “Class Seating Chart” (see red arrow).
A list of students enrolled in this section will appear on the right side of the screen (see red box).
If the list of students is incorrect, this must be adjusted by the staff member who enrolls/ drops students into courses. Teachers, in most cases, cannot add/drop students.
Seating Chart Options
To change the name of the seating chart, click the Rename button (see red arrow) on the toolbar, then enter a new name and click OK (see red box).
Adding an Alternate Seating Chart
The skill above, renaming a seating chart, is often useful when creating alternate seating charts. OnCourse supports multiple seating charts for any class. For example, your class may have “lecture style” seating and also “work group style”.
To add a new alternate seating chart, click the Add button (see red arrow), then enter a name in the box that appears, then click OK.
Your new alternate seating chart will now appear in the Seating Chart drop-down menu (see red box).
Make sure to select the correct seating chart from this drop-down menu before placing students.
Click the Options menu to access these configurable options:
• Show Photos – check this box to display the most recent student photo that has been uploaded by the school office. Uncheck this box to display generic male/female “avatars” (shown below).
• Snap to Grid – check this box to force students to “snap” to the edges of the seating grid. Uncheck this box to “freehand” the students anywhere on the grid, despite the gridlines.
Placing Students/Teacher Onto the Grid
To add a student to the seating chart grid:
• Click their name from the list on the right side of the screen
(see red arrow, right). Their icon will appear on the grid. Or,
• Drag and drop their name from the list on the right into
the seating chart grid (see red arrow, left).
The person’s icon will appear on the grid, and can now be dragged and dropped into it’s correct location in the room.
This person may have one of three icons:
1. The student photo will appear if (A) you are in “Show Photos” mode (see previous section) and (B) the office has uploaded a photo.
2. A Photo Not Available icon will show if (A) you are in “Show Photos” mode and (B) the student’s photo has not been uploaded by to the office.
3. A generic icon will show if “Show Photos” mode is deactivated
Continue to add and place students until the seating chart has been completed.
There is a special icon marked “Teacher” which
can be used to place the teacher’s desk on the
grid (see below).
Finalizing the Seating Chart
When the seating chart is complete, make sure to click the Save button to lock in any changes made to the grid (see arrow)
To create a printable copy of this chart, click the Print button (see box).
To delete this seating chart, click the Delete button.
Creating a Seating Chart for a Different Class
To create the seating chart for another class, return to the Grade Book page, use the Class drop down menu (see box) to change to another class Grade Book, then click the Seating Chart button again.
The seating chart grid will be launched for the class you selected.